Friday, July 5, 2013

How We Are Perceived

Since no one ever feels like working on a Friday that is sandwiched between a Thursday holiday and the weekend, I thought to post something more in that spirit.

Whereas I am passionate about people knowing why architects are important to society, I would be remiss if I did not recognize how funny it is that architects tend to bring the quirks of the profession home with them.  Bob Borson, over at Life of an Architect, posted an article nine months ago called "Dating an Architect."  He lists some of the things anyone should know about architects if they wish to have a lasting relationship with one.  I found it shockingly accurate, and therefore hilarious. 

Of his eighteen different character traits/quirks, my favorites were...
Do you need something glued? Architects can tell you when to use white glue vs. hot glue vs. rubber cement vs. epoxy. It’s not complicated but everybody gets it wrong.
Do you think you have an opinion? If you can’t “articulate” why you have said opinion it will be considered inferior. It will probably be considered inferior anyway but you have no chance if you can’t explain exactly why you have the opinion that you have.
Architects don’t seem to love anything that actually exists. They might say that they really like something … but even then they will systematically point out all of its flaws.

My wife, Gabrielle, would have to tell you for sure how many apply to me.  I counted fourteen out of eighteen.

No comments:

Post a Comment